The chapel on top of the mountain to the east of the monastery is dedicated to Saint Theodore. On February 8, the feast day of the saint, we climbed to the chapel for the celebration of the Divine Liturgy. We set out when it was still dark, and reached the summit just as the first light of a new day was appearing on the horizon.
By the time of the Liturgy, the sun was shining through the high east window, made in the form of a cross.
The painted icons have been moved to the monastery for safekeeping. In their place are paper prints. The walls were decorated in a secco technique by Father Pachomius, a monk of Sinai who died in 1958.
Geckoes were hibernating on the cold wall.
A view of the small chapel in the morning sunlight, as we began our descent back to the monastery.